Class AB fixed biased 6V6's for the dynamic vintage tones.
Power Output: 20 watts
Output Impedance: 8 ohms
Line Out - post output transformer LINE OUT with LINE OUT LEVEL control for recording or driving a power amp, Auto switched internal load to simulate speaker if speaker is not plugged in. Inject great tone directly into the PA system with the Speaker Simulated Direct Interface.
5AR4 rectifier for the vintage sag....but you can use 5Y3,5U4 or Solid-State Plug-In if you like the sound tighter.
IEC detachable plug-in three prong grounded power cord.
Classic retro knobs
STANDBY switch to turn off the plate voltage during warm-up.
Retro Vintage Cage Mini-Head - heavy duty steel mesh cage provides protection and excellent ventilation for tubes. Comes with easy carry Fender style strap handle.
Dimensions: 12"W x 8"H x 8"D
Weight: 15 lbs.
Rock solid point-to-point hand wiring using only the best of parts...low noise tubular polypropylenes caps, metal film resistors, ceramic sockets, switchcraft jacks...etc.
Sweet vintage clean to classic overdrive tones with three different types of distortion depending on whether you are overdriving the preamp, output... or both!
Tube complement: The amp comes with 2 - 6SL7, 2 - 6V6, 1 - 5AR4
- GAIN WITH BRIGHT SWITCH
- STANDBY SWITCH
- PILOT LIGHT
- POWER SWITCH
- POWER CORD SOCKET
- LINE OUT LEVEL CONTROL
- LINE OUT
- SPEAKER OUT
These options allow you to customize your amp to meet your special individual requirements.
1. EFFECTS LOOP - pure tube buffered serial effects loop designed to perfectly match the low impedance solid-state pedal levels with high impedance tube levels. Add $75.00
2. EFFECTS LOOP FOOTSWITCH - adds jack to rear panel for footswitch control of the EFFECTS LOOP bypass switch. Includes classic heavy duty footswitch with LED. Add $60.00
3. EXTENDED RANGE 4-8-16 OHM OUTPUT TRANSFORMER - for more tonal range and speaker options. Comes with 4-8-16 ohm speaker selector switch.Add $50.00
4. POWER ATTENUATOR - Built-in power attenuator provides three power levels. 1/4 - 1/2 - FULL power. Add $75.00
5. 100 - 240 VOLT POWER TRANSFORMER - for operation outside the USA. Please specify line voltage. Add $40.00
6. "SURFER" VINTAGE TUBE TREMOLO - pure tube tremolo for those vintage vibe tones. Great for surf music! Comes with Depth and Speed controls on front panel.and footswitch pedal. Add $50.00
7. SOLID-STATE PLUG-IN RECTIFIER - Use this solid state plug-in rectifier replacement for 5AR4 rectifier tube when less sag and a more dynamic Marshall type response is desired. Just switch back to the tube rectifier when sag is desired. Add $12.00
8. DUAL RECTIFER MODE SWITCH - Provides a switch to select between a 5AR4 rectifier for smooth compression on peaks or a FRED high voltage solid-state rectifier for sharp pick attack and dynamic bass. $50.00
9. SPEAKER CABINET - Add a matching speaker cabinet to your order. See our Speaker Cabinets page for details and pricing.
10. CUSTOM AMP CABINETS - Replace retro cage cover with a custom Tolex head cab, combo cab, roadcase cab or rack mount chassis. See our Custom Shop page for details and pricing.
Dear Jim, Safely, it reached home. Thank you. It is a wonderful jazz amplifier. It is a loved tone. Thank you. m(__)m! Kitagaki M. (Japan)
Thank you, Jim. My Retro Deluxe arrived today and it is an awesome harp amp. I tried out two vintage microphones with it and it sounds great! It delivers the tone I want. It’s loaded with numerous extras. It’s priced right. And it was shipped in the most secure container I have ever received,I appreciate your attention to detail in every aspect of the amp. I appreciate you sharing your commitment to outreach work as well.Frenzel embodies integrity.Thanks.May you have joyous abundance in everything you do, Best regards,Vin (Massachusetts)
Hello Frenzel, I am VERY pleased with the JF-5A3 RD "Retro Deluxe" Guitar Amp that I recently received!!! AWESOME SOUND AND TONE!! Chaz P. (Colorado)
Jim - I have received my amp the Frenzel JF - 5A3 Retro Deluxe. All I can say is WOW WOW WOW what a spectacular amp, a true classic, thank you thank you thank you, I LOVE THIS AMP! Bill S. (Indiana)
Hey Frenzel Team - I would like to thank everyone involved for the outstanding workmanship, professionalism and care you show in doing things right for the people who do business with you. The way you packed the amp so it would arrive in perfect condition is truly impressive. I believe that of all the companies I have ever dealt with, regardless of field of expertise, your company is the one that has stood out the most. I tried the amp (JF-5A3RD/Surfer Upgrade) as soon as everything was ready to go and the sound is full and well defined. I will make sure people know about Frenzel amps among the musicians I know here in Montreal. I'm very happy and I can't wait for my next gig. Michel P. (Montreal, Canada)
Hey Jim and crew! - I am really enjoying the amp. The best part of all this is the flexibility and ease of changing the tubes. I now have the exact tube compliment of Don Helms the steel player for Hank Williams! TC - (Florida)
Hello, I received my Retro Deluxe (JF-5A3RD) amp today. I plugged it into my Weber Minimass and then into my computer audio. I added some of my favorite pedals to the mix. I soon found out I don't need some of my pedals nor do I need the Minimass. The amp sounds great and has a good range of possible tone settings with the two pull controls on the gain and bass parametric eq knobs. Thank you for throwing in the pull deep switch on the bass control. This amp sounds the way I hoped it would and then some. I plan to order the Sweet Little 15 next. Dan R. (DC suburbs)
Jim- Another big thanks... your amps are fabulous, and even more than my high expectations...am absolutely loving both amps (twin rev., and custom retro), and they have been used on most of my gigs, and sessions... the smaller sized retro fits in my case/seat, and makes it easier for the packed van tours...cheers, and hats off to you Jim... Charlie H. (Canada)
Hey Jim, Pheeeew....just received my JF-5A3RD, amazing tone! With just a little boost pedal to push those 6SL7 tubes over the top you get a really fuzzy, thick and unique overdrive unlike any other amps i've had. Also has a great big round clean tone that i'm loving too. From the way it was shipped to the build quality everything was AAA, was definitely worth the wait. You can tell you guys take pride in what you do. Mick B. (Illinois)
Hi Jim, Got the amp JF-5A3RD yesterday. Your care in packing was as good as I have seen. I let the tubes warm up for about an hour and have played it for about an hour. I am VERY impressed with the old school Jazz tones I am getting on my Mann 5 string electric mandolin. I will write a more complete review in a couple of weeks. Let me say thank you for this wonderful piece of gear! Pete M.(Washington)
SOUND CLIPS & VIDEOS - From our friend Dalibor Jurasin in Croatia
For more reviews please check our Customers Reviews page.